The Professional Business Diploma.
An outstanding alternative to university, this unique 1-year course is widely known as the ultimate training for students who are looking for a fast track into an exciting career within any role in any business sector.
- You will learn through a variety of classes, tutorials and group work every day Monday – Friday. With 21 hours contact time per week this is nothing like university!
- Business simulations (think Dragon’s Den meets the Apprentice!) and problem-solving challenges, will give you an insight into how businesses work. They are fun, practical and very popular with students.
- With your increasing confidence and capability you will complete a work experience week as part of your diploma. We work very closely with recruitment agencies who will find you the company that suits you best.
- Throughout the year you will be able to hear presentations by inspirational speakers representing different business sectors. They will give you an insight into the different roles you could try at the outset of your successful career.
You will graduate with advanced practical workplace skills and an understanding of how the world of business works. A combination of these and excellent soft skills will make you highly employable and an immensely valuable member of any team.
- Business environment – stock markets and investing, economics, current affairs, politics, business finance and government
- Business communication – non-verbal communication, oral, and written including formal report writing, letters and emails, press releases.
- Business English – clarity and composition
- Research skills
- Business planning
- Customer service and telephone technique
- Management and leadership
- Minute taking and meetings documentation
- Travel itineraries
- Audio transcription
- Document creation to a very high standard using Microsoft Word including mail merge, macros, tables of contents, etc.
- Problem solving with Microsoft Excel including IF statements, Lookups, Pivot Tables, etc.
- Creation of professional presentation decks using Microsoft PowerPoint including slide masters, title masters, hyperlinks, etc.
- Database marketing using databases including queries, reports, forms, etc.
- Diary, email, and contact management using Microsoft Outlook.
- Understand the principles of digital marketing and why they are important in a marketing strategy
- Learn how to approach social media marketing for business strategically with practical hands on experience.
- Learn how to create content in an engaging way, and how to measure it.
- Understand the importance of professional engagement on social media platforms
- Learn the basic principles of email and content marketing, and how to conduct a social media audit
- Learn how to plan and execute content for social media for a business
- Learn how to develop a personal brand on Linkedin and use it professionally for networking and job search
- Students will understand the variety of roles and responsibilities required for organising a wide range of events.
- To develop interpersonal skills, along with the use of a variety of scheduling tools and supporting documentation to monitor the planning process.
- Risk assessment, health and safety planning and contingency planning
- Students will work on a dedicated Event Management project, working to a client’s brief (alongside a team of others). They will be presenting their event proposal to the client as a competitive bid for the business.
- In Term 3 this module is integrated into a cross modular project which combines all skills and learning to present ideas to a panel of judges on an event for a product launch as part of a new company.
Personal Development Planning and Career Support:
All students follow a personal job search programme and help with the job application process.
The planning includes:
- Different learning styles and team building
- Belbin Team Roles
- CV analysis, interview technique
- Myers Briggs Personality Profiling
Students are introduced to recruitment agencies at the start of the course.
A week long work experience is another key part of this course which takes place during the third term.
Students indicate which business sector they are interested in and the type of roles they would like to try or experience. We are lucky to have such close relationships with recruitment agencies and companies over many years. They really value our students and are keen to help with this essential part of the course. Each student indicates what sort of business and role they would like to try and suitable positions are arranged mainly in London. Some students may choose to remain in Oxford for their work experience placement.
Many of our students secure job offers from this week.